Home | Fixtures, Results & Reports | League Table | Form Guide | Squad | Past Seasons
Gander Green Lane | Performance Guide / Honours | Honours Gallery | Wallpapers | Past Features | Links


2001/02 Reports:
U's v Kingstonian (09/04/02)

For the second time in two weeks Sutton shared the points with Kingstonian but had to wait until late in the game to secure the point their performance deserved.

On a cold-night and with the playing surface hindering attractive football, there was little in the way of clear-cut chances for either team in the first half and a repeat of last weeks goal-less draw was on the cards until Kingstonian broke the deadlock shortly before the break, Tim Sills shooting past Dunn into the top corner from outside the area. Sutton had a couple of periods of good possession but could not create a decent scoring opportunity. Half-time: Uís 0, Kingstonian 1.

As with the first-half, Sutton enjoyed some good spells of possession but the final ball was frequently missing. With fifteen minutes remaining John Rains introduced Matt Gray and Matt Fowler and Gray produced a number of crosses from the right but they were cleared easily by Kingstonian. The reshuffle finally paid off when Kingstonian old boy Eddie Akuamoah, who had moved back into midfield, collected the ball just inside the Kingstonian half and went on a dazzling run, beating four or more players, before shooting through the legs of Lance Key to save a point for the Uís and silence the Kingstonian fans. Full time: Uís 1, Kingstonian 1.

Team: Dunn, R Palmer, Gonsalves, Mison, Drew, Honey, Timothy (Gray), Corbett, Wingfield (Fowler), Haworth, Akuamoah

Goal: Akuamoah

U's v Purfleet (13/04/02)

Sutton started the livelier of the teams and managed to impose themselves almost immediately on the game.

Ultimately Sutton had the best of both halves with large periods of good possession, which presented us with several half chances. Suttonís best chances came from two Mison headers, one in each half, and Phil Wingfield in the closing minutes of the game, who forced a good save at the near post from the Purfleet keeper.

Purfleetís only clear cut chance fell to one of their players at the back post, after a good cross from the left. However he managed to somehow clear the bar and the Securicor terrace. Both sides also had a goal disallowed through off side decisions, but neither keeper was truly tested.

Another game where Sutton shouldíve taken all three points. As the visitors didnít look like a team who were fourth in the league.

Team: Dunn, Gonsalves, Mison, Palmer, Drew, Wingfield, Corbett, Honey, Timothy (Gray), Akuamoah, Haworth

U's v Grays (23/04/02)

A good first half saw Sutton battle well, but they were unable to convert some good possession into a goal. The Uís best chance came on the half hour, when a punched clearance from the Grays keeper was caught sweetly by Gonsalves. This forced a fine save from the keeper as the 25-30 yard drive was pushed wide for a corner.

The introduction of Nick Bailey for Phil Wingfield at half time saw the midfield gain a bit more pace. It wasnít until the 70th minute that Sutton finally managed to get the goal they deserved. A low through ball saw Matt Gray steaming towards the oppositionís keeper and then calmly placing the ball into the bottom right hand corner. With little more than 5 minutes to go we grabbed a second. A ferocious corner from Gonsalves was flicked on by Akuamoah and was then crushed into the back of the net by the forehead of Mison.

The Uís seemed to have it all wrapped up. But their luck ran out as the clock started running into injury time. Some quick footwork on the right saw a Grays player beat two yellow shirts and eventually unleash a shot goal bounds. Tommy Dunn managed to save it, but he couldnít stop the player from seemingly pushing the rebound home with his arm. Their second shortly followed. A high looping deflection in the 6-yard box caused all sorts of confusion, which was capitalised on by a Grays player.

A disappointing end to an otherwise excellent performance. Sutton 2, Grays 2.

Team: Dunn, Palmer, Mison, Hammonds, Gonsalves, Timothy, Wingfield (Bailey), Akuamoah, Honey, Gray, Haworth

Goals: Gray, Mison

U's v Hampton (27/04/02)

The U's kicked off the final game of the season looking like a team possessed. It wasn't long until a ball was played back to Matt Gray on the edge of the edge of the box, who obliged with an immaculately struck shot. The ball hurtled through the crowded area and found itself in the bottom left hand corner. The U's than came off the boil and didn't really threaten at all during the rest of the first half.

After a change of referee (?!?), Sutton began to re-impose themselves and search for the second goal. It eventually came when a quick free kick was pushed short to Dave Timothy. Timothy then floated the ball into the box and met forcefully by the forehead of Rob Haworth. He took the chance without a second glance and the ball ended up in the top left hand corner.

The U's end the season on a high, lets hope we manage to keep the youngsters at the Lane over the summer and come out firing on all cylinders next season. Final score: Sutton 2, Hampton 0.

Team: Dunn, Palmer, Hammonds, Mison, Gonsalves, Timothy, Honey, Corbett, Akuamoah, Haworth, Gray.

Goals: Gray, Haworth

Comments and suggestions to the webmaster | Site Map | Legal Stuff / Credits