Home | Fixtures, Results & Reports | League Table | Form Guide | Squad | Past Seasons
Gander Green Lane | Performance Guide / Honours | Honours Gallery | Wallpapers | Past Features | Links


2006/07 Reports:
Uís v AFC Wimbledon (01/11/06)

Final score: 1-1

The Yellows and AFC Wimbledon drew 1-1 in the hastily arranged friendly at Gander Green Lane. The Dons took the lead just before the break, with the U's equalising quickly after the start of the second half through Sam Clayton.

Team: M Maan, R Palmer (J Henry), C Tanner (A Bray), B Alimi (P Honey), R Blackwell, R Harris, S Clayton, T Quinton, E Akuamoah (S Erpiako), R Gaynor (M Johnson), W McBean (R Watts).

Goals: Clayton (50)

AFC Wimbledon (from): P Smith, D Andrews, S Butler, F Myers, K During, C Bunce, C Maclaren, W Finnie, J Galbraith, R Shroot, C Gell, J Paris, J Darlington, P Hinks, D Grieves, N Connery.

Goals: D Grieves

[Back to Top]

Uís v Bedford (04/11/06)

Final score: 0-2

Sutton couldn't build on last Saturday's excellent result. The only change from last weekends side was the inclusion of Eddie Akuamoah to replace the recalled Charlie Ide. However, two goals in the second half and an inability to hit the back of the net saw the points stay in Bedford.

Team: L Naughton, C Tanner, L Gonsalves, J Scarborough, R Palmer, B Alimi, T Quinton, M Gray, R Gaynor, E Akuamoah (R Harris), W McBean. Subs (not used): R Blackwell, P Honey, S Clayton, M Maan

Goals: -

Bedford: I Brown, J James, E Lawley, A Cavill, L Howarth, G Hoyte, B Farrell (M Childs), D Stupple, B Belgrave (M Lyon), I Draycott, D Daniels (A Phillips). Subs (not used): C Grieve

Goals: I Draycott (58), M Lyon (88)

[Back to Top]

Uís v Histon (11/11/06)

Final score: 1-0

On this Remembrance Day fixture a goal from Warren McBean was all that separated the two sides. Sutton had the best of the first half with McBean being the player to call Lance Key into action on several occasions. The yellows did have a goal disallowed after John Scarborough was adjudged to have pushed his marker, but with about five minutes to go McBean scored. He was put through and managed, whilst under pressure from a Histon defender, to calmly beat Key. The Second half saw Histon dominate the possession and pile on the pressure. Luke Naughton was the main reason Histon didn't hit the back of the net pulling off half a dozen excellent saves to make sure the U's got all 3 points. One point of concern was that Craig Tanner was carried off after an awful challenge.

Team: L Naughton, C Tanner (E Akuamoah), L Gonsalves, J Scarborough, R Palmer, B Alimi, T Quinton, M Gray, P Honey, R Harris, W McBean (Z Graham). Subs (not used): M Maan, S Clayton, R Gaynor

Goals: McBean (39)

Histon: L Key, M Haniver, E Okay, M Mitchell-King, M Langston, A Cambridge, J Kennedy, R Nightingale (N Kennedy), D Roberts, I Cambridge, J Barker. Subs (not used): D Bloomfield, S Jackman, A Murray, N Andrews

Goals: -

Early on Luke Naughton punches clear

A Histon defender beats Warren McBean to the ball.
The Ref then gave a goal kick.

Bashiru Alimi fires in a shot

McBean's headed attempt is tipped over by Lance Key

Tony Quinton tries to connect with
a Richard Harris cross

A disallowed goal, after John Scarborough was
adjudged to have fouled his marker

Under pressure McBean beats key...

And then jogs pass him to begin the celebrations

[Back to Top]

Uís v Cambridge (14/11/06)

Final score: 2-2

After dominating the opening 10 minutes Sutton might have thought it was going to be a walk in the park. However a weak free-kick was conceded out on the right on the half hour mark. From this Cambridge took the lead after the resulting cross couldn't be cleared. At the break the Yellows came in ruing the chances that hadn't been taken in the opening minutes. Ross Gaynor pulled the U's level after he cut in from the right and sent in a fierce shot that clipped a defender on the way into the bottom corner. Sutton's second came after a Matt Gray corner was headed back into the six yard box by Tony Quinton. A poor defensive header gave Warren McBean a chance to head home and he claimed his third goal in four league games. Cambridge's equaliser capitalised on some poor marking as an unmarked player headed home a corner at the back post. Gaynor was handed a chance to snatch all three points with minutes to go but his vicious shot was well saved by the opposition's 'keeper.

Team: L Naughton, E Akuamoah, L Gonsalves, J Scarborough, R Palmer, B Alimi (R Gaynor), P Honey, T Quinton, M Gray, R Harris (R Watts), W McBean. Subs (not used): Z Graham, S Clayton, M Maan

Goals: Gaynor (62), McBean (67)

Cambridge: D Naisbitt, C Pope, C Radcliffe, L Chaffey, G Fuff, B Bowditch, S Sinclair (D Lynch), L Baillie, L Roache, N Midgley, C Henry (N Moutford). Subs (not used): K Mooniaruk, S Reed, E Morcade

Goals: Midgley (32), Chaffey (81)

[Back to Top]

Uís v Dorchester (18/11/06)

Final score: 4-5

After coming from behind twice and then taking a two goal lead, with thirty minutes to go, the U's thought they were home and dry. Oh how wrong they were.
The U's went a goal down after a poorly cleared ball was volleyed into the top corner. Sutton's first equaliser was a corner routine straight from the training ground, which allowed Ross Gaynor to thunder in a ferocious drive from outside the box. Almost immediately Dorchester went a goal up again. Another poor clearance and some questionable 'keeper positioning let the Magpies lob their way back into the lead. The first half scoring wasn't finished though. A Matt Gray free-kick from the left wing was met well by Lewis Gonsalves and his header squared the game at two goals a piece going into the break.
The second half was another roller coaster ride of emotion. Gray's cross let Warren McBean put the U's one up after looping a back post header back over the 'keeper. Then with about half an hour to go Sutton got their first penalty for ages (although the ref was the only person in the ground who thought it was a penalty). Gray duly stepped up and put the U's two ahead. All of a sudden it looked like the three points were in the bag. But after another volley and a one on one, Dorchester found themselves level with only minutes to go. Sutton then found themselves behind again after a Dorchester forward seemed to pull Gonsalves back allowing him to run through and beat Luke Naughton and steal all three points.

Team: L Naughton, E Akuamoah, L Gonsalves, J Scarborough, R Palmer, B Alimi, T Quinton, M Gray, P Honey, R Gaynor, W McBean (R Harris). Subs (not used): M Maan, A Bray, S Clayton, Z Graham

Goals: Gaynor (20), Gonsalves (31), McBean (51), Gray (61 pen)

Dorchester: R Martin, R Hill, D Seaborne, M Jermyn, A Browne, S Morgan (J Gleeson), M Robinson, J Rowe (G Musson), D Town, M Groves, J Keeler. Subs (not used): G Bowles, S Smith, S Evans

Goals: Town (10,85), Keeler (21), Robinson (74), Groves (90)

Dorchester volley themselves 1-0 up

Tony Quinton dummies Matt Gray's corner...

Ross Gaynor's resulting shot is watched
by Bashiru Alimi, 1-1

Lewis Gonsalves heads home to level
the scores again, 2-2

Matt Gray crosses to the back post...

Where Warren McBean is waiting to claim his
4th goal in 5 league games, 3-2 up

Under pressure McBean forces a good save
from the 'keeper

Matt Gray scores from the spot to
put Sutton 4-2 up

[Back to Top]

Uís v Braintree (25/11/06)

Final score: 2-3

A last gasp winner put Braintree into the hat for the next round, just after the U's had had a shout for a penalty at the other end turned down.
The Irons took the lead in the first half from a deep cross, from the right, to the back post that was then volleyed home. Sutton pulled themselves level when Warren McBean pounced to mop up a goal mouth scramble and force it over the line. The U's went in at half time at one a piece hoping to take it to the visitors in the second.
As the second half kicked off the heavens opened and proceeded to lash down for the next 40 minutes. The Yellows were behind again with 25 minutes to go, after Eddie Akuamoah was dispossessed on the half way line. The Braintree player then sped towards goal and placed it in off the far post of Phil Wilson's goal. As the rain continued to pour down Sutton went in search of the equaliser. It eventually came from a long ball forward that Matt Gray managed to lift over the advancing 'keeper, McBean was then on hand to make sure it hit the back of the net to claim his second against his former club. Coming into the final minute Richard Harris was blatantly pushed and pulled in the box only for a free kick to be given the other way as his marker fell over first. Shortly after this Braintree claimed their third and a place in the next round.
Sutton's match was made all the harder by more inconsistent refereeing and a seeming inability to book Braintree players for obvious, cautionable, offences.

Team: P Wilson, E Akuamoah (R Harris), L Gonsalves, J Scarborough, R Palmer, B Alimi, T Quinton, M Gray, P Honey, R Gaynor (Z Graham), W McBean. Subs (not used): L Naughton, A Bray, R Watts

Goals: McBean (21,69)

Braintree: N Morgan, B Burgess, M Jones, O Adedeji, R Edwards, B Quinton, R Martin, L Bailey (R Sutton), E Ofori (J Baker), B Brayley, L Riddle (S Good). Subs (not used): D Bradshaw, D Plumme

Goals: Brayley (17), Martin (64), Burgess (90)

Paul Honey contests the ball

A whipped cross from Matt Gray

Ross Gaynor begins another run

Gray gets chopped down out on the wing

Warren McBean pops up at the back post to
score Sutton's first equaliser

McBean cuts inside and lays the ball back...

Unfortunately Gaynor's shot goes just wide

Lewis Gonsalves clears the ball

[Back to Top]

Comments and suggestions to the webmaster | Site Map | Legal Stuff / Credits