Home | Fixtures, Results & Reports | League Table | Form Guide | Squad | Past Seasons
Gander Green Lane | Performance Guide / Honours | Honours Gallery | Wallpapers | Past Features | Links


2006/07 Reports:
Uís v Cambridge City (03/03/07)

Final score: 3-2

The travelling U's didn't take long to get on the score board and then add another two before the clock had hit twenty five minutes. Craig tanner opened the scoring calmly slotting the ball home after a great through ball. Matt Gray provided the second with a superb curling free kick after Tony Quinton had been fouled. Quinton then hit the third himself after some unselfish play by Warren McBean who pulled the ball back into Quinton's run. The half ended with City beginning to edge their way back into it.
Straight after the break Cambridge continued to build upon that momentum and scored from the first attack of the half after Phil Wilson fumbled a cross. With a quarter of an hour to go Cambridge pounced after the ball couldn't be cleared and a shot from a narrow angle found its way in to set up an exciting end to the game. However things changed when the City number two fouled Warren McBean on the edge of the area and then proceeded to stamp on McBean's leg as they got up. Quite rightly he saw red for doing so. Sutton then managed to get a better grip on the game and were it not for the back of the City 'keeper's head might have killed the game off. But none the less the final whistle was a welcome relief to the travelling Amber Army.

Team: P Wilson, R Palmer, A Bray, J Scarborough, L Gonsalves, C Tanner, M Gray, P Honey, T Quinton, W McBean (J Henry), B Alimi. Subs (not used): Z Graham, P Harford, L Naughton

Goals: Tanner (7), Gray (17), Quinton (22)

Cambridge: D Naisbitt, C Pope, D Blanchett, L Chaffey, G Fuff, B Bowditch, G Lincoln, D Staff (M Gash), N Midgley, L Roache (S Sincalir), C Henry (L Baillie). Subs (not used): E Mercade, C Radcliffe

Goals: Midgley (46), Gash (68)

Craig Tanner opens the scoring

A well struck free-kick by Matt Gray...

Which finds the top corner

Warren McBean pulls the ball back...

And Tony Quinton hits the back of the net

Phil Wilson dives bravely to cover the ball

Once again McBean pulls the ball back...

But Paul Honey can't quite direct it goalwards

The City 'keeper denies Bashiru Alimi...

The rebound is pounced upon by Jason Henry
but his shot hits the back of the 'keepers head

[Back to Top]

Uís v Bedford Town (10/03/07)

Final score: 3-1

Three great goals that were all exquisite in their own way gave the U's all three points. Republic of Ireland Under 21 International Ross Gaynor fired the U's into the lead in the fifth minute. After juggling the ball across the edge of the box he rifled the ball past the Bedford 'keeper. The remainder of the first half was scoreless although Warren McBean, Matt Gray and Gaynor all had chances that only narrowly missed the target.
The second half saw the Yellows create another two superb goals. The second goal came after Ryan Palmer managed to get in a low cross from the right, McBean then controlled the ball just inside the six yard box and proceeded to back heel the ball into Gray's path after having drawn in several defenders. Gray took the ball in his stride and dutifully slammed it home. Gaynor engineered the third himself, after breaking free down the left he pulled back an inch perfect cross which was met on the volley by Bashiru Alimi. At the other end Phil Wilson almost had nothing to do for the entirety of the match, however as the end of the match drew near Bedford managed to get a consolation goal.

Team: P Wilson, R Palmer, J Scarborough, L Gonsalves, C Tanner, M Gray (A Bray), P Honey, T Quinton, W McBean (J Henry), R Gaynor (E Akuamoah), B Alimi. Subs (not used): L Naughton

Goals: Gaynor (5), Gray (66), Alimi (75)

Bedford: I Brown, A Garner (A Phillips), E Lawley, T Bonner, L Howarth, G Hoyte, B Farrell (R Miller), D Stupple, I Draycott, J Sozzo, A Cavill (M Lyon). Subs (not used): J Gould, A Stevens

Goals: Draycott (88)

Ross Gaynor lashes the ball home

The Bedford 'keeper saves this shot from Gaynor

Warren McBean heads narrowly wide

Another Gaynor shot goes just wide

Ryan Palmer forces a good save from the 'keeper

Tony Quinton is beaten to a cross

A crafty back heel from McBean...

Sets up Matt Gray to score

Unselfishly Gaynor pulls the ball back...

For Bashiru Alimi to volley into the empty net

[Back to Top]

Uís v Basingstoke Town (17/03/07)

Final score: 2-0

The U's had a successful visit to the Camrose on a sunny but none the less windy afternoon. With the wind behind them and the sun in Basingstoke's eyes Sutton took the lead in the 22nd minute. A fiercely hit Matt Gray free-kick from the left wing deflected off of John Scarborough which sent the ball into the far corner past a helpless Stuart Searle. The second half saw the wind die a bit but the U's still faced an awful lot of pressure from the Dragons. Ross Gaynor sealed the result four minutes from time as he managed latch on to a Gray through ball and then beat Searle from the edge of the box.

Team: P Wilson, R Palmer, J Scarborough, L Gonsalves, C Tanner, A Bray (P Honey), M Gray, T Quinton, W McBean, R Gaynor (J Henry), B Alimi. Subs (not used): L Naughton, E Akuamoah

Goals: Scarborough (22), Gaynor (86)

Basingstoke: S Searle, S Dell, J Bruce, J Bristow, J Dolan, S Howell (S Fitzgerald), D Ray, B Surey, C Levis, J Taylor, M Warner (C Gibbs). Subs (not used): D Lodge, R Watkins, L Townsend

Goals: -

Warren McBean crosses the ball...

But it goes just behind a charging Ross Gaynor

Matt Gray swings in a free-kick...

And after deflecting off of John Scarborough
it goes in at the far post.

A shot from Craig Tanner goes narrowly wide

McBean pushes the ball just too far infront of himself

Gray pushes the ball through...

For Gaynor who goes on to score

[Back to Top]

Uís v Yeading (20/03/07)

Final score: 2-2

Sutton grabbed a point with a last minute leveller from Craig Tanner. After falling two behind, one being a re-taken penalty, Warren McBean pulled a goal back giving the U's a better chance of a come back in the second half. The referee however made Sutton's job harder than it already was by minimising the calls he made our way. Nevertheless Yeading's long ball tactics were undone in the last minute as Craig Tanner headed home to continue the U's unbeaten streak.

Team: P Wilson, R Palmer, C Tanner, J Scarborough, L Gonsalves, T Quinton (E Akuamoah), M Gray, P Honey, R Gaynor, W McBean, J Henry. Subs (not used): A Bray, B Alimi, L Naughton

Goals: McBean (35), Tanner (88)

Yeading: P Seuke, D Allen-Page, B Hudell, T Cadmore, R Goddard, S Keevill, L Collins, A Everitt, J Healy, M Morgan, M Barima (J Mulley). Subs (not used): C Wright, F Belaid, M Patterson, L Blackmore

Goals: Morgan (8 pen), Healy (34)

[Back to Top]

Uís v Braintree (24/03/07)

Final score: 0-0

The Yellows kept up their unbeaten streak with a well fought draw at Gander Green Lane. The chances in the first half were few and far between. Warren McBean came the closest for the U's as he poked a shot about a yard wide. The second half saw both 'keepers forced into action. Phil Wilson made several important one on one stops including an excellent double save. At the other end the Braintree 'keeper did well to stop a Matt Gray corner going straight in at the near post. All in all it was a good point, against a team several places higher than us in the league.

Team: P Wilson, R Palmer, J Scarborough, L Gonsalves, A Bray (R Harris), P Honey, M Gray, S Taiwo, W McBean, R Gaynor (J Henry), B Alimi. Subs (not used): L Naughton, E Akuamoah

Goals: -

Braintree: N Morgan, B Burgess, M Jones, O Adedeji, R Edwards, B Quinton, A Porter, D Lee (R Martin), E Ofori (B Brayley), J Hawes, L Riddle (C Sullivan). Subs (not used): J Baker, S Good

Goals: -

Paul Honey lays the ball off

John Scarborough stretches for the ball

Ross Gaynor chases the ball

Warren McBean stabs the ball just wide

In a crowded box Honey tries to make himself
some space to shoot

The Braintree 'keeper fumbles a cross under
pressure from Scarborough

Matt Gray's curving corner is (possibly?) kept out

This cross just eluded Lewis Gonsalves
after the 'keeper had flapped at it

[Back to Top]

Uís v Dorchester (27/03/07)

Final score: 0-0

Eight unbeaten on the trot, but the U's will feel cheated as the first home penalty of the season was saved after the 'keeper had left his line early. The visiting supporters also thought that Phil Wilson handled outside the box whilst dealing with a break through, but after consulting his assistant the referee took no action. The second half saw the U's soak up a lot of pressure. Even with the introduction of Richard Harris and Jason Henry during the break the U's failed to test the Dorchester 'keeper during the second forty-five minutes.

Team: P Wilson, R Palmer (R Harris), J Scarborough, L Gonsalves, A Bray, P Honey, M Gray, S Taiwo, W McBean, R Gaynor (J Henry), B Alimi. Subs (not used): L Naughton, E Akuamoah, S Clayton

Goals: -

Dorchester: S Evans, R Hill, T Parker, J Gleeson, A Browne, S Browne, B McConnell, M Robinson, G McCallum, M Groves, J Keeler. Subs (not used): S De-Mata, D Town, M Jermyn, G Bowles, A Knight

Goals: -

As Matt Gray strikes the penalty the Dorchester 'keeper has already stepped off his line

[Back to Top]

Uís v Havant & Waterlooville (31/03/07)

Final score: 0-1

Sutton went behind in the 9th minute to a thunderbolt from Richard Pacquette. However it wasn't until the sending off of Tony Quinton 10 minutes into the second half that the team came alive. The U's were unlucky not to get on the score sheet when Ryan Palmer's header at the back post, from Matt Gray's cross, was cleared off the line. Plus to continue this season's theme of not getting stone wall penalties, Craig Tanner was rugby tackled during a corner by Havant's left back. Unsurprisingly the referee, conveniently, missed the incident and waved away the protests. It was a second half performance to be proud of even though we couldn't get a share of the points.

Team: P Wilson, R Palmer, J Scarborough, L Gonsalves, A Bray (R Gaynor), P Honey, M Gray, T Quinton, W McBean, C Tanner, B Alimi (R Harris). Subs (not used): L Naughton, R Blackwell, S Taiwo

Goals: -

Havant & Waterlooville: S Gore, M Warner, J Gregory, B Sedgemore (B Poate), T Jordan, N Sharp, R Pacquette (J Collins), S Wilkinson, J Louis (F Simpson), R Baptiste, T Taggart. Subs (not used): C Watkins, D Annon

Goals: Pacquette (9)

Phil Wilson makes an early one on one save

After heading at goal Matt Gray is
clattered from behind

The Havant wall does it's job against
this Gray free-kick

Craig Tanner sends a back-heel into
Tony Quinton's path...

However Quinton's shot failed to
trouble the 'keeper

The Havant 'keeper is rushed into a clearance
by Warren McBean

Partially obscured by Havant's No. 2,
Ryan Palmer heads at goal...

But the No. 3 stops it from going in

Gray fires in a shot...

Which the Havant 'keeper watched go narrowly wide

[Back to Top]

Comments and suggestions to the webmaster | Site Map | Legal Stuff / Credits