Home | Fixtures, Results & Reports | League Table | Form Guide | Squad | Past Seasons
Gander Green Lane | Performance Guide / Honours | Honours Gallery | Wallpapers | Past Features | Links


2008/09 Reports:
Uís v Maidstone United (04/10/08)

Final score: 0-1

The U's travelled to Sittingbourne, the temporary home of Maidstone, in the hope of improving their away record. Out of the starting blocks the U's looked good and dominated the first 15 minutes of the match, with Billy Dunn having a couple of chances. However, Maidstone came back in to the match and just after the half hour were awarded a penalty. Former Arsenal player Ian Selley duly stepped up and proceeded to send Paul Nicholls the wrong way. From that point on the U's failed to really challenge the 'Stones 'keeper and as the game came to a close Maidstone could have grabbed another but Paul Cunningham somehow blocked a shot on the line.

Team: P Nicholls, G Heeroo, K El-Salahi, C Collins, A Bray (P Cunningham), D Smith (M Hann), D Palmer, K Murray, B Dunn, D Webb (A Wilde), G McCallum. Subs (not used): J. Smith, S McKimm.

Goals: -

Maidstone: A Walker, N Paul, S Schoburgh (C Thompson), B Lewis, I Cox, A Martin, I Selley, J Saunders, J Pinnock, L Blackman, E Bradbrook. Subs (not used): J Wilfort, K Mooney, A Ulph, S Northwood.

Goals: Selley (35, pen)

Billy Dunn's shot is saved by the 'Stones 'keeper

The 'keeper denies Dan Webb from close range

Ian Selley puts the home team in to the lead

Alan Bray commits to the challenge

Dunn's elbow blocks a free-kick

The 'keeper claims the ball after Dunn is muscled off the ball

The U's throw everything at the Maidstone goal but can't score

Matt Hann fires a shot over the bar

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Ware, FAC (11/10/08)

Final score: 2-1

With the most famous silverware in domestic football in attendance the U's left it late to book their place in the draw for the next round. After going behind in the seventh minute to a finish that would not have looked out of place in the FA Cup final, the U's piled on the pressure in search of an equaliser. During the first half the U's thought they should've had a couple of penalties firstly when a defender crashed through the back of Gavin McCallum as he went up for a header and then when McCallum was pulled back just inside the box. Neither were given. The second half saw more of the same as Sutton tried to turn their possession in to meaningful chances on goal. As it seemed that the brick wall Ware had built around their 6 yard box couldn't be breached, McCallum sent in an inch perfect, low, cross from the left and Steve West scuffed a shot in to the bottom corner. This spurred possibly the best after goal bundle since Dominic O'Shea's last minute equaliser against Eastbourne in March 2005. Literally minutes later the travelling support were celebrating again as West turned provider for Billy Dunn to head home. Craig Dundas then nearly capped it all off when he burst in to the Ware box, only to be denied by the 'keeper.

Team: P Nicholls, G Heeroo, K El-Salahi, C Collins, A Bray, M Hann (B Dunn), D Palmer (C Dundas), S McKimm, S West, G McCallum, A Wilde (D Smith). Subs (not used): J. Smith, D Bracken.

Goals: West (80), Dunn (82)

Ware: R Hayward, D Blower, M Bardle, D Wolf, L Stewart, S Berry, M Sharman (S Horsey), K Fehmi (L Bristow), J Frendo, P Burton, B Hammatt (X Doku). Subs (not used): L Beadle, J Berry, J Hoad.

Goals: -

What it's all about... The FA Cup

A defender crashes through Gavin McCallum

The 'keeper denies Steve West

McCallum's progress in to the box is hampered

Adam Wilde rifles in a shot

Dean Palmer flicks the ball on

The U's supporters embrace Steve West after his equaliser

West climbs to head the ball across the box...

... Where Billy Dunn meets it and heads home

The players congratulate Dunn on his goal

Craig Dundas hurdles a challenge to get in the box...

... Only for his shot to be blocked by the 'keeper

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Heybridge Swifts (15/10/08)

Final score: 1-1

For the second game on the trot the U's left it late to get something out of the match. The two halves were complete opposites of each other, the first seeing Sutton have the majority of the possession but again the thing that was missing was the finishing. On the other hand Heybridge came out after the break and immediately put the U's under the cosh and were soon rewarded when the ball was bundled in at the back post. Substitute Craig Dundas spared Sutton from losing their unbeaten streak at home when he popped up in the box to finish from close range as the final whistle approached.

Team: P Nicholls, G Heeroo, K El-Salahi, C Collins (C Dundas), A Bray, M Hann, D Palmer, S McKimm, S West, G McCallum, D Smith (B Dunn). Subs (not used): T Hughes, S Young, D Bracken.

Goals: Dundas (87)

Heybridge: O Morris-Sanders, M Nelson (A Rushen), R Hill, R King, F Everett, M Cutchey, N Clarke, A Gillespie, N Cousins, M Reddaway, C Bourne. Subs (not used): A Brotherton, W King, A Rowe, J Bowyer.

Goals: Cousins (53)
Other Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Tooting & Mitcham United, FAT (18/10/08)

Final score: 2-0

Sutton were looking for two things from today's game. The first to progress to the next round and the second to make up for the four-two loss that the Terrors had already dealt them in the league. The first half was a very even affair with relatively few chances, although both sides did manage to hit the bar, with the U's effort being a diving header from Dean Palmer. After the break Sutton began to threaten more often but it wasn't until the sixty-fifth minute that the U's finally broke the deadlock. After dispossessing the defender, Billy Dunn cut in to the box and from about the penalty spot drilled a low, right footed, shot in to the bottom corner. Rather surprisingly Dunn was then substituted and Matt Hann entered the fray. Opportunities then fell to Gavin McCallum and Hann but the Tooting 'keeper denied them both. With only a few minutes left on the clock McCallum then set up Hann for the second goal after he chased down a defender, forced an error and then pulled the ball back for Hann to fire home.

Team: P Nicholls, S Jackson, K El-Salahi, C Collins, A Bray, G Heeroo, S McKimm, D Palmer, C Dundas, B Dunn (M Hann), G McCallum. Subs (not used): J. Smith, D. Smith, A Wilde, D Bracken.

Goals: Dunn (66), Hann (87).

Tooting & Mitcham: D King, D Hamlin, C Hartburn, A Goode, J Vines, A Howell, J Pinnock (B Abbey), S Myall (J Byatt), P Vines, M Antonio, C Pitterson (S Muguo). Subs (not used): J Henry-Hayden, C Crawley.

Goals: -

New signing Simon Jackson takes on the Tooting left back

Dean Palmer's diving header rockets on to the crossbar

Billy Dunn is narrowly beaten to a through ball by the Terrors's 'keeper

Chris Collins sees his effort blocked by a defender

Dunn's shot flies past the 'keeper

The U's congratulate Dunn on his goal

Matt Hann watches his strike beat the defenders and 'keeper

Hann celebrates his first Sutton goal

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Aylesbury United, FAC (25/10/08)

Final score: 1-0

It took a moment of footballing genius from Matt Hann to put the U's past the fourth qualifying round for the first time since 1995. Sutton controlled the game from the onset, but the Ducks were making sure that clear cut chances were kept to a minimum. Karim El-Salahi, Dean Palmer, Gavin McCallum and Billy Dunn all had opportunities fall to them, but just couldn't hit the back of the net. The second half saw the pace of Matt Hann and McCallum start to cause more problems for the Aylesbury defence. It was Hann who eventually broke the deadlock as he picked the ball up on the half way line and then proceeded to ghost past several players in to the box and then flick the ball beyond the advancing 'keeper. The Ducks finally called Paul Nicholls in to action during injury time when he had to dive full stretch to his left to deny a good volleyed attempt.

Team: P Nicholls, S Jackson, K El-Salahi, C Collins, A Bray, C Dundas, S McKimm, D Palmer, M Hann, B Dunn (S West), G McCallum. Subs (not used): J. Smith, D. Smith, A Wilde, D Bracken, C Ottaway, T Hughes.

Goals: Hann

Aylesbury: T Vincent, C Kavanagh, R Taylor, N Leach, S Swonnel, S Maynard, B Stevens (N Graham), M Butler (D Mead), C Henney, G Hawkins (R Joe), K Mealor. Subs (not used): A Flood, C Aslett.

Goals: -

Karim El-Salahi's volley is saved...

.. Billy Dunn pounces on the rebound, but hits the side netting

Dean Palmer heads narrowly wide

Gavin McCallum's one on one effort is well saved

Matt Hann runs at the Aylesbury defence...

... And then flicks the ball past the 'keeper

The players and fans go wild after Hann's goal

Paul Doswell celebrates the victory

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Comments and suggestions to the webmaster | Site Map | Legal Stuff / Credits