Home | Fixtures, Results & Reports | League Table | Form Guide | Squad | Past Seasons
Gander Green Lane | Performance Guide / Honours | Honours Gallery | Wallpapers | Past Features | Links


2008/09 Reports:
Uís v Hendon, FAT (02/11/08)

Final score: 2-1

On a Sunday afternoon in the shadow of new Wembley's arch, Sutton continued their run of form in cup competitions. After initially going a goal behind the U's dug in and started to turn the screw in an effort to get back on level terms. The equaliser came when Craig Dundas cut in from the left and with the 'keeper slightly out of position, he proceeded to slam the ball in at the near post. This spurred the U's on and when Simon Jackson swung in a cross from the right wing Gavin McCallum got the touch that was required to guide it in at the far post. The second half went without much incident and neither side really troubled the other 'keeper. In the final minutes Hendon were reduced to ten men when James Bent received his second yellow for completely missing the ball and making rather heavy contact with Alan Bray's shin, as Bray tried to hold the ball up in the corner.

Team: P Nicholls, S Jackson, K El-Salahi, C Collins, A Bray, C Dundas, S McKimm, D Palmer (B Dunn), M Hann, G Heeroo, G McCallum. Subs (not used): D. Hughes, S. West, A Wilde, C. Eribenne.

Goals: Dundas (25), McCallum (39).

Hendon: R Wilmot, J Burges, C Vargas (K McLaren), M Leach, J Parker, J Busby (C Mapes), L Guentchev (G Garner), L OíLeary, B Haule, H Hunt, J Bent. Subs (not used): F Wilson, W Viner.

Goals: Hunt (17)

Paul Nicholls sends a free-kick up field

Craig Dundas celebrates his equaliser

Simon Jackson brings the ball under control

Gavin McCallum peels away after flicking in the winning goal

McCallum revels in his goal

The 'keeper and defender combine to deny Gavin Heeroo

Seconds before eleven's sending off, number five drags
his boot down the back of Alan Bray's leg.

Billy Dunn sends a shot high and wide

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Notts County, FAT (08/11/08)

Final score: 0-1

For the first time this season the walls of fortress GGL were breached, but it took a team from 3 divisions above the U's to do so. Sutton started brightly and managed to get an early free-kick when McKimm was brought down on the edge of the area. Dean Palmer got Sutton's first shot on target, with Gavin McCallum and Craig Dundas also calling Hoult in to action in the second half. The U's managed to restrict County to few chances and bar the Magpie's 75th minute goal Paul Nicholls was never really tested. County scored and booked their place in the second round, when a well weighted chip was headed home from 6 yards. Unfortunately on the day Sutton didn't quite get the rub of the (very wet) green, but their effort could not be faulted.

Team: P Nicholls, S Jackson, K El-Salahi, C Collins, A Bray, C Dundas, S McKimm (B Dunn), D Palmer (D Hughes), G Heeroo, S West (M Hann), G McCallum. Subs (not used): A Wilde, C. Eribenne, J McLoughlin.

Goals: -

County: R Hoult, J Clapham, M Edwards, J Thompson, P Mayo, M Hamshaw, R Butcher, L Neal, M Weston (A Nowland), D Facey, S Canham (S Weir-Daley). Subs Not Used: K Pilkington, N MacKenzie, B Fairclough.

Goals: Butcher (75)

The players all shake hands before the kick off

Simon Jackson leaves his marker stranded

Gavin McCallum loses his footing whilst chasing the ball

Gavin Heeroo attacks the County defence

Dean Palmer dispossess a defender

Steve West holds off a challenge

David Hughes looks to chip the ball forward

On the turn, McCallum hits a shot at goal

Craig Dundas fires in an effort from the edge of the box

Matt Hann tries to pull the ball back

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Tonbridge Angels (11/11/08)

Final score: 3-3

After initially taking the lead through Chukki Eribenne the U's found themselves heading in at half time two goals behind after self destructing fifteen minutes before the break. Whatever was said at half time in the dressing room did the trick though and the U's battled their way back in to the fixture. Craig Dundas cut in from the right and fired in a low shot to put Sutton within one. Eribenne then completed the come back converting the penalty after David Hughes was tripped in the box.

Team: P Nicholls, S Jackson, K El-Salahi, C Collins, A Bray, C Dundas, S McKimm (B Dunn), D Palmer (D Hughes), G Heeroo, S West (M Hann), G McCallum. Subs (not used): A Wilde, C. Eribenne, J McLoughlin.

Goals: Eribenne (26, 71 pen), Dundas (68).

Tonbridge: L Worgan, P Starkey, L Hamilton, T Tyne, L Legge, S Gooding, J Westcott (T Olurunda), A Storey, J Cade, A Olurunda (C Rook), F Logan. Subs (not used): M Phillips, L Piscina.

Goals: Gooding (32) El Salahi (44 og), Cade (45).

The players celebrate Chukki Eribenne's opening goal

Eribenne puts Sutton level from the spot

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Dartford (15/11/08)

Final score: 3-2

Having come from behind in their last game the U's took a different approach to this game and kept the lead throughout. The U's got on the score sheet after twelves minutes, Gavin McCallum's free kick was headed back across the box by Steve West for David Hughes to stoop and cushion the ball in to net for his first U's goal. United extended their lead when Chukki Eribenne turned, under pressure, on the penalty spot to fire a shot in to the goal. After the break Dartford fought instantly back and within minutes of the restart had pulled to within one. Sutton restored the two goal cushion when the Ref gave a penalty for a seemingly non challenge on Steve McKimm, Eribenne duly stepped up to take his tally to four goals in two games. Dartford didn't give up though and with little left on the clock notched up their second as, former U, Rob Haworth rose unmarked to head home from a corner.

Team: P Nicholls, S Jackson, K El-Salahi, C Collins (G Heeroo), A Bray, C Dundas, S McKimm, D Hughes, C Eribenne (M Hann), S West (D Palmer), G McCallum. Subs (not used): A Wilde, B Dunn.

Goals: Hughes (16), Eribenne (44, 58 pen).

Dartford: A Young, J Coyle, T Osborne, A Flanagan, L McDevitt, D Dafter, R Hayes (B Cass), J Day, R Haworth, C McDonald, S Butterworth. Subs (not used): J White, D Baigent, S Eferakorho, D Palfrey.

Goals: Dafter (48), Haworth (90).

Gavin McCallum runs at the Dartford defence

McCallum prepares to send in a freekick whilst
Steve McKimm issues some instructions ...

... Steve West heads the freekick back across the box ...

... David Hughes heads home from 4 yards

Hughes celebrates his goal

Chukki Eribenne spins and shoots, to put the U's two up

The players congratulate Chukki on his goal

Eribenne celebrates after grabbing his second from the spot

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Dover Athletic (18/11/08)

Final score: 1-0

The league leaders came to visit the Borough Sports Ground but the walls of fortress GGL stood strong. An excellent team performance topped by Chukki Eribenne's 16th minute goal gave the Yellows three points and continued their unbeaten home record. Eribenne's goal was calmly taken after it looked like Craig Dundas had been felled in the area. Dover did have some good periods of play, but the U's player closed the ball down well and rarely gave the Whites time to settle. Paul Nicholls also found himself having quite an easy evening, but when he was called in to action he was always on the ball.

Team: P Nicholls, S Jackson, K El-Salahi, S Downer, A Bray, C Dundas, S McKimm (D Palmer), D Hughes, S West (G Heeroo), C Eribenne (B Dunn), G McCallum. Subs (not used): A Wilde, M Hann.

Goals: Eribenne (16).

Dover: J Whitehouse, M Fish, S Gore (G Grazioli), D Hill, O Schulz, S Moore (S Jones), J Wallis, A Pouton, S Welford, F Collin (N Bailey), J Hughes. Subs (not used): J Keister, L Browning

Goals: -
Other Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Wingate & Finchley, FAT (22/11/08)

Final score: 1-1

After Tuesday night's excellent performance the U's were brought down to earth with a bump as a solid second half display from Wingate & Finchley earned them a deserved replay. The U's took the lead when Simon Downer rose to connect with an Adam Wilde cross and head the ball home. Almost instantly Wingate had a chance to get back on level terms when Gavin Heeroo knocked over a Wingate forward in the box. However, the injured Paul Nicholls made a great spot save and kept the U's lead intact. The second half saw Wingate step up their efforts and they were duly awarded when a low drive beat Nicholls. Sutton tried to search for a winner as the clock ticked down, but they couldn't conjure up any meaningful chances.

Team: P Nicholls, K El-Salahi, S Downer, G Heeroo, A Bray, C Dundas, D Palmer (S McKimm), D Hughes (S Jackson), C Eribenne, G McCallum, A Wilde (S West). Subs (not used): M Hann, B Dunn.

Goals: Downer (33).

Wingate & Finchley: G King, M Weatherstone, O Williams (K Street), C Ellis, B Aisien, A Rifat, J O'Brien, M Samuel, L Nelson (W Grant) C Chase, L Fisher.

Goals: Samuels (62).

Simon Downer fires in a shot, that goes just wide

Gavin McCallum beats his man and forces a save from the 'keeper with this shot

Adam Wilde's lob unfortunately drops the wrong side of the bar

Downer rises in the box to head the ball...

...Which goes in at the back post

The U's congratulate Simon on his goal

Craig Dundas whips in a cross

A Wingate defender dives bravely to deny Chukki Eribenne a chance at goal

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Wingate & Finchley, FAT Replay (25/11/08)

Final score: 2-2 at full time, 3-4 after penalties

The U's took the lead in this cup replay when Chukki Eribenne stooped to head home Billy Dunn's perfect cross. Wingate pulled themselves level when a low corner somehow managed to evade Craig Dundas on the post and then beat Joe McLoughlin's effort to keep it out. After the break Wingate took the lead through a one on one break away, and then rather spoilt things by running over and taunting the U's fans. Sutton got back in to the tie when Adam Wilde's free-kick was headed in by Dean Palmer with a little over two minutes to play. The U's could've have finished off the match in extra time but the usually reliable Eribenne blasted over from the penalty spot. The resulting penalty shoot out saw Wingate narrowly edge the win, but once again their celebrations did little to impress the U's supporters.

Team: J McLoughlin, K El-Salahi, S Downer, G Heeroo, S Jackson, C Dundas, S McKimm (D Palmer), D Hughes, C Eribenne, G McCallum (A Wilde), S West (B Dunn). Subs (not used): C Ottaway, S Young.

Goals: Eribenne (29), Palmer (84).

Wingate & Finchley: G King, M Weatherstone, K Street (O Williams), C Ellis, B Aisen, A Rifat, D Neilson, J O'Brien, L Nelson, C Chase (M Sacks)(A Limbrick), T Lees. Subs (not used): C Horton, J Furman.

Goals: Lees (42), O'Brien (75).

The Wingate 'keeper retrieves the ball from the net after Chukki Eribenne's header

David Hughes just manages to avoid getting kicked in the head

Gavin McCallum looks to beat his marker

Eribenne's extra time penalty heads over the bar

Joe McLoughlin after saving the first Wingate penalty

Craig Dundas tucks his penalty away

Adam Wilde side foots home

Billy Dunn fires in his spot kick

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Uís v Hornchurch (29/11/08)

Final score: 2-1

Despite a first half where either side could have taken the lead, with Gavin McCallum shooting narrowly wide and Simon Downer blocking a goal bound shot, it was the second half that stood out for all the wrong reasons. Hornchurch took the lead after what appeared to be a foul on Charlie Ottaway out near the corner flag, the ball was then passed back to the edge of the box and placed in to the far side of the goal well beyond Paul Nicholls' reach. Nicholls was then forced to leave the field through injury. Whilst claiming a cross Nicholls was subject to the sort of challenge that a receiver in American football would expect, as a Hornchurch player caught him just under the ribs with his shoulder. Nicholls was down for some time and even though he tried to play on, could not. Dean Palmer stepped up and took the gloves and jersey and proceeded to make an excellent full stretch save. Billy Dunn leveled the game as his pace left the Hornchurch defence flat footed and he duly rounded the 'keeper and slotted home. Despite this the Urchins pushed on for a winner and it didn't take long to arrive, as Palmer parried a cross only to see it bounce off an attacker's knee and over his head in to the unguarded net.

Team: P Nicholls (B Dunn), K El-Salahi, S Downer, C Collins, C Ottaway (A Wilde), C Dundas, S McKimm, D Palmer, D Hughes, C Eribenne, G McCallum . Subs (not used): M Hann, G Heeroo.

Goals: Dunn (57).

Hornchurch: D Brightly, M Goodfellow, L Brown, J Purdie, J McFarlane, A Tomlinson, P Shave (B Coyne), D Green, K Lee, S Parker (R Wall), D Barnard. Subs (not used): L Hodges, M Stuart-Evans, M Bowditch.

Goals: Lee (46), Parker (63).

Chris Collins leads the U's out

Dean Palmer is brought down

Steve West send a free-kick towards the box

As Paul Nicholls is helped off the pitch Palmer puts the 'keeper jersey on

Billy Dunn rounds the 'keeper to score the equaliser

David Hughes and Chukki Eribenne congratulate Dunn on his goal

Eribenne brings the ball down

Craig Dundas evades a challenge

Extra Match Photos

[Back to Top]

Comments and suggestions to the webmaster | Site Map | Legal Stuff / Credits